Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have numerous new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the chance to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and quick method to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser center. Learn who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Choose More Info a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Request for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. Find another one if your doctor won't tell you. For top read the article surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to Related Site eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for most people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the globe.